This guide will discuss how to use ChatGPT to automate tasks in Excel.
Excel is an excellent tool to use for different purposes and situations. Since it has several built-in functions and tools, we can easily perform difficult tasks. Furthermore, we can even take it further and automate Excel tasks.
Because there are certain tasks that we repetitively have to do for a long period of time, it would be better to automate these tasks. In this case, we would no longer have to go through all the steps in Excel to perform the tasks.
Moreover, we can utilize VBA Macro in Excel to automate these tasks. So VBA stands for Visual Basic Application. And this tool is used to create custom user-generated functions and quickly perform manual tasks by creating automated processes.
However, it can be intimidating to use the VBA Macro in Excel to automate our tasks, especially if it is our first time doing so. Luckily, we can easily learn how to create VBA Macro to automate tasks in Excel using ChatGPT.
So ChatGPT is a type of AI that will answer any complex and challenging questions we may have. If it was our first time automating tasks in Excel, we could simply paste our instructions in ChatGPT. Then, it would return a detailed answer on how we can automate our task in Excel.
Let’s take a sample scenario wherein we need to use ChatGPT to automate tasks in Excel.
Suppose you need to create a monthly sales report showing the monthly total, monthly average, and the day of the month with the highest sales. Since you do not want to waste time inputting the different functions each time you create a new report, you decide to automate the task.
However, you have never used VBA Macro or automated any task in Excel before. To help you automate your task, you used ChatGPT, which created a VBA Macro for you to simply copy and paste into your workbook.
Great! Now we can move on and dive into a real example of using ChatGPT to automate tasks in Excel.
A Real Example of Using ChatGPT to Automate Tasks in Excel
Let’s say we have a data set showing the weekly sales report from 5 different store branches. So the data set has the total sales for each store from Monday to Friday. And it also shows the daily total sales from all the stores. So our initial data set would look like this:
Moreover, we want to display the weekly sales, weekly average, and the day with the highest sales made to complete our weekly report. Traditionally, we can easily perform this using the built-in functions in Excel. However, we would be creating a new sales report every week.
To make our work easier, it would be better for us to automate the task so we would only need to apply the automation every week without inputting the functions and formulas each time.
Additionally, we can use VBA Macro in Excel to automate tasks. Using the VBA Macro tool, we can input the necessary functions, formulas, and actions needed and automate the process. However, we have no former knowledge of creating a code to input in the VBA Macro.
So we have to first utilize ChatGPT to automate our task. Furthermore, ChatGPT is a powerful AI answer-generating tool that can answer difficult questions conversationally.
Thus, we can use ChatGPT to help us create a VBA Macro code to automate our task. Currently, we can freely use ChatGPT by simply signing up and creating an account. So we can directly go to ChatGPT.
Firstly, we need to input the instructions for our task. Furthermore, our instructions must be as specific and detailed as possible, including the cell references. Secondly, we will copy our instructions and paste them into ChatGPT.
Then, ChatGPT will return long and detailed instructions on what we need to do. Additionally, ChatGPT will include the needed VBA Macro code to automate our task. Next, we can simply copy the VBA Macro code that ChatGPT returned and paste it into our worksheet.
Hence, we have successfully automated our task. And we can apply the automated process by simply running the macro. So our final data set would look like this:
You can make your own copy of the spreadsheet above using the link attached below.
Amazing! Now we can proceed and discuss the steps of how to use ChatGPT to automate tasks in Excel.
How to Use ChatGPT to Automate Tasks in Excel
In this section, we will discuss the step-by-step process of how to use ChatGPT to automate tasks in Excel. Furthermore, each step has detailed instructions and pictures to guide you through the process.
To apply the method to your work, we can simply follow the steps below.
1. Firstly, we need to go to OpenAI’s website and sign up to make an account. So we can simply follow the process of creating the account and verifying our email and number. Then, we can use the ChatGPT tool for free.
2. Secondly, we need to create detailed instructions to input in ChatGPT. For example, we want to display the weekly total sales, weekly average, and the day with the highest sales in that specific week. Since we want to automate our task, we specifically need to create a VBA Macro.
So our instructions will be “Create a Macro with:
Sum B8 to F8 and show result in C10
Average B8 to F8 and show result in C11
Maximum of B8 and F8 and return the matching value from B2 to F2. Show result in C12.”
3. Thirdly, we can simply copy the instructions and paste them into the space found at the bottom of ChatGPT. Lastly, we will press Enter to return the answer.
4. Afterward, ChatGPT will display a long and detailed answer containing the VBA Macro code we need to automate our task. Then, we can simply copy the VBA Macro code.
5. Then, we will open VBA Macro. To do this, we can simply go to the Developer tab and click Visual Basic.
6. After, we will go to the Insert tab and click Module in the dropdown menu.
7. In the window, we can paste the code we copied from ChatGPT. To do this, we can right-click and select Paste. Otherwise, we can also simply press Ctrl + V. Lastly, we will click the Save icon and close the application.
8. Afterward, we need to save our workbook as macro-enabled. In the Save as window, we can simply choose Excel Macro-Enabled Workbook in the pop-up menu. Lastly, we will click Save to apply the changes.
9. Next, we will go to the Developer tab and select Macros.
10. In the Macro window, we can select the macro we just saved. So we can simply select that and click Run.
11. And tada! We have successfully used ChatGPT to automate tasks in Excel.
And that’s pretty much it! We have successfully discussed how to use ChatGPT to automate tasks in Excel. Now you can apply this method to your work whenever you need to easily automate tasks. Moreover, you can utilize ChatGPT whenever you do not know how to perform certain tasks in Excel.
Are you interested in learning more about what Excel can do? You can now use the various other Microsoft Excel formulas available to create great worksheets that work for you. Make sure to subscribe to our newsletter to be the first to know about the latest guides and tutorials from us.